Saturday, September 17, 2011

Sweet Corn Cake & Horchata


I made this Sweet Corn Cake as a dessert for a Mexican feast that we had with friends.  From what I've read this can be served as a traditional side dish or dessert.  I thought it was delicious, like a sweet, moist version of corn cake.  I think it would make a great side with a warm bowl of chili.  The only things that I changed from the recipe were that I used fat-free half and half instead of the heavy cream, and I used all-purpose flour instead of masa harina.

I also made this Horchata for our beverage.  I've never had Horchata before, so I can't speak as to whether or not this is a great recipe for it, but it turned out tasty.  The two things I did differently were to let it sit overnight (rather than just 3 hours), and per recommendations from some of the commenter's I strained the entire mixture after sitting overnight to strain out the floating cinnamon.

No comments: