Thursday, September 15, 2011

my dream job

Over the years my idea of my dream job has changed.  When I was 10, it was a ballerina.  At 17, an Art Therapist.  At 19, a Physical Therapist, or anything having to do with fitness and/or nutrition.  At 21, a Regional Human Resources Manager.  At 23, a yoga teacher.  At 25, a chef.  At 27, an overseas missionary.  What an eclectic assortment.  And while I've always wanted and hoped to be a stay-at-home mom eventually, I didn't realized just how much I'd love it. 

I mean, I had no prior experience with kids... I'd only changed 6 diapers ever before I had my own son.  I had no idea what I was getting myself into, how to be a mom, or what to do with a kid.  I was a little anxious towards the end of my pregnancy.  Excited, but also anxious.  Nervous that I couldn't do it.  Nervous that it would be really hard.  I wasn't what you would call a "kid person" at all.  Some people just know how to talk to and interact with kids, and I didn't have the slightest clue about any of that.

Here I am, almost 11 months later, and I seriously want to pinch myself every day.  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE getting to be a stay-at-home mom.  This has become my dream job.  Every day I just can't believe that it is okay for me to hang out with kids all day, it is so much fun it seems like something has to be wrong with it... life is supposed to be hard, right?  It's just an extra added bonus that I get to watch another kid in addition to my own most days.  I guess you could say that I have become one of those "kid people", and I'm loving it!  Praise Jesus for His guidance, provision, and work in me, because without Him NONE of this would be possible.  He is my sustainer, teacher, guide, and the strength made perfect in my weakness (which I have a lot of).

Being a mom isn't always easy, it involves lots of poop, lots of disciplining, lots of cleaning up, and constantly putting the needs of another before my own.  But the good far out weighs the bad, I also get lots of hugs, kisses, laughs, snuggling, and playing.

I'm overflowing with joy today that I really get to do this.  That I have the best job that I could ever ask for. 

Thank you, Jesus! 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Precious!!!

Love this so much! I'm so glad for you to be loving and thriving in this new(ish) role!!!
It makes me hopeful and excited for 'my turn' when it comes too! :)

Mary said...

Such a sweet post! I agree with Kim, it's great to see you loving your new role and totally thriving!

Your post made me laugh at myself a bit, because I really never had any big career goals because I always assumed I was just passing time until I became a mom, and then here I am back to work and loving it! Go figure. It just goes to show that we never know what the future holds for us, but it's all in God's hands. And what a great adventure that is!