Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Best Tomato Sauce Ever?

I've been wanting to try The Best Tomato Sauce Ever for a while now.  It really does go against everything I think I know about making a good tomato sauce... only 3 ingredients?!?  Butter, tomatoes, and onion (that later gets thrown away!)?  No sugar, no pepper, no red pepper flakes, no garlic, no wine, no olive oil, no herbs?  Crazy!  But I was intrigued, and decided that I needed to give it a try.

Well?  It was okay.  When done, I tasted it and found it a little bland, so I ended up adding 1 Tbsp sugar and 1/2 tsp pepper.  This may have been my fault for reducing the butter to 3 Tbsp, but that was all I was willing to put into our dinner.  I can say that the end result, with the added sugar and pepper was quite good, and I really loved the texture of the squished whole tomatoes for a tomato sauce.  It was more chunky than the way I normally make it, using crushed tomatoes.  So I think I'll stick to the whole tomato method, but maybe make it my own by adding garlic, herbs, pepper, and sugar.

No comments: