Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Savory Bread Pudding


Savory Bread Pudding

I found myself with lots of extra bread on hand and decided to whip this up as a result.  Any combination of meats, veggies, and cheeses would work here, so it's great for using up leftovers.  It is also a great breakfast, lunch, or dinner dish.  *The only thing I would change, is that I would pre-cook the spinach first next time so that it would wilt, and then stir the cooked spinach in with the rest of the ingredients.

-6 eggs
-2 cups skim milk
-1/4 tsp dried thyme
-1/4 tsp dried rosemary
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/4 tsp pepper
-pinch nutmeg
-1 clove garlic, minced
-1 cup cheese, shredded (I used parmesan, gruyere would be great here also)
-2 cups (*cooked) veggies (I used 8 oz spinach, artichokes and/ or mushrooms would pair nicely with this also)
-1 cup cooked meat (I didn't have any so I didn't do this, bacon, sausage, or ham would be great though)
-8 slices bread, cut into 1 inch cubes (I used whole wheat sandwich bread since that's what I had on hand, but that is very un-foodie-like of me, for the real foodies, go for a cubed baguette or something comparable)

Whisk together eggs, milk, thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and garlic.  Stir in cheese, veggies, bread cubes and meat.  Pour into a greased 13x9 pan.  Bake at 375 for 30 minutes, or until top is brown and center has set.

No comments: