Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Ham & Bean Soup


Ham & Bean Soup

Because I love soup any time of year, because I'm tired of heating up my oven several days in a row, and because I had a ham bone leftover from last week, I made this soup.

-1 (12 oz) bag assorted dried beans, soaked overnight and rinsed
-4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
-4 cups water
-1 ham bone
-1 onion, diced
-5 carrots, diced
-3 ribs celery, diced
-4 cloves garlic, minced
-3 bay leaves
-1 tsp pepper
-1 tsp dry mustard
-1 Tbsp dried parsley
-2 cups ham, chopped
-3 Tbsp lemon juice

In large pot bring beans, broth, water, ham bone, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, bay leaves, pepper, mustard, and parsley to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer until beans and veggies are tender (about 2 hours).  Stir in ham and simmer 30 additional minutes.  Stir in lemon juice, remove ham bone and bay leaves, and serve.

No comments: