Thursday, April 25, 2013

Vietnamese Pickled Vegetables



Vietnamese Pickled Vegetables

I made these to serve as a side to a Vietnamese Shrimp Noodle Soup.  I'm not sure if it's that I'm pregnant and everything pickled tastes delicious, or if these are just one of the best things that I've ever eaten, but let's just say that I ate an entire batch in 1 day and am kinda thankful that Jeremy doesn't like cauliflower so I didn't have to share them.  I'm pretty sure I'll be making these again soon, and not just on nights when I cook Vietnamese food.  In fact, they should be a staple to have around my fridge.  They are a great combination of spicy and sweet, but they are pretty spicy, so reduce the red pepper flakes if you don't like a lot of heat.  This batch filled up two large canning jars for me, so halve or double the recipe as needed.

-2 c sugar
-3 c white vinegar
-3 tsp salt
-2 tsp red pepper flakes
-2 tsp black pepper
-6 cloves garlic, sliced
-1 small head cauliflower, cut into bite sized florets
-1 cucumber, sliced
-2 carrots, sliced

Bring sugar, vinegar, salt, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and garlic to a boil on the stove.  Layer the vegetables in desired canning jars.  Pour the hot brine over the vegetables and seal jars with lids.  Once jars are room temperature place them in the fridge.  These were ready to eat within a few hours, but could stay in the fridge longer based on your preference.

No comments: