Wednesday, April 4, 2012

guarding my heart

yesterday I was looking back through my journal and reflecting on my spiritual journey so far this year.  I was so encouraged to read different words that the Lord has spoken to me this year, and to read verses that spoke to and guarded my heart with truth.  since I tend to struggle with a lot of the same lies over time I figured it would be encouraging to have some of these verses collected in one place, so that when I need encouragement in the future I can quickly look at them and let the truth guard my heart and speak against the lies.  so here they are, in no particular order.  it's funny that I listed these verses in a combination of translations, I think I get stuck on whatever translation I'm reading at the time that the verse first speaks to me.  this list is by no means exhaustive, there are so many verses that the Lord has used to encourage and challenge me in different seasons, but these are the ones that are the most meaningful to me right now.  hoping that some of them may be an encouragement to others who read this as well...

  • Matthew 22:37-40 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.  This is the great and first commandment.  And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.   On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”  -If we had a family verse or mission statement I'm sure it would be this.  It has great meaning to us, and it's the inspiration for part of one of Jeremy's tattoos.
  • Philippans 4:4-8   Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
    Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. -this verse has been my rock throughout so many seasons of life.
  • Matthew 6:33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
  • Hebrews 10:24-25 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. -my mission for community
  • Psalm 46:10 “Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations,I will be exalted in the earth!”-the Lord has continued to bring me back to this verse this year as He focuses me on resting, being present, and being still.
  • 1 Thessalonians 5:15-18 Rejoice always,  pray without ceasing,   give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. -always, but especially in this season of life, I feel a heavy burden to rejoice, and pray without ceasing
  • Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. -I tend to be particularly hard on myself.  This verse is my constant reminder that guilt and condemnation are not of Christ, but of the enemy, and my constant challenge to walk in grace and freedom
  • Romans 8:28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. -such a good reminder in tough times, that even the things the enemy intends to harm us that God will use for our good
  • Romans 8:26-27 Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.  And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. -such a rock when I don't know or have the words to pray
  • Matthew 6:7-13 And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. Pray then like this: “Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. -when I don't know what or how to pray I turn to the Lord's prayer
  • 2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
  • Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,  gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.
  • Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.


    Do you have a life verse?  If so, what is it?

No comments: