Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Sweet and Spicy Nuts


Sweet and Spicy Nuts

I was inspired by the combination of flavors in Ellie Krieger's spiced nuts.  I tweaked her recipe a bit to best suit my tastes, but I think her use of maple syrup instead of the sugar would add a great dimension of flavor.  I wasn't completely satisfied with my first batch, so I have tweaked the recipe for how I would do these in the future.  This would be great to serve as a snack or appetizer, or to give as a gift in a decorative jar.

-1 egg white
-1 Tbsp water
-4 c assorted nuts, raw and unsalted (I used a combination of almonds and pecans)
-1/2 c sugar
-1/4 c brown sugar
-2 tsp curry powder
-2 tsp dried rosemary
-1 tsp salt
-3/4 tsp cayenne

In medium bowl, whisk together water and egg white until frothy.  Toss egg mixture with nuts.  In a separate bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients.  Toss nuts with spice mixture.  Place on greased cookie sheet, and bake at 300, for thirty minutes, stirring half way through cooking.  Use spatula to loosen nuts from cookie sheet while cooling (I didn't do this, and had a hard time scraping some of my nuts off of the cookie sheet.

No comments: