Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Pumpkin & Ricotta Pasta


I made this Pumpkin and Ricotta Pasta Casserole.  It was warm, hearty, and everything good Fall food should be.  The changes I made were to use part-skim ricotta, nonfat yogurt, 1 tsp dried thyme instead of the fresh sage, add 1 Tbsp brown sugar, add 1/4 tsp cayenne, and add 1/4 tsp cinnamon.  The final product was a tad too salty for me, so I think in the future I will reduce the salt by 1/2-1 tsp.  I think you could also substitute fat-free half and half, or broth for the yogurt with great results.  I love the crunch that the nuts add to the texture of the dish.  This dish was great as is, but I would even like a little more pumpkin and/ or moisture in the finished dish, so next time I might add a little more pumpkin, or 1/2 c of broth prior to baking.  To make this a main dish for meat eaters, you could easily stir in cooked and crumbled sausage, which would compliment the flavors quite nicely.  Noah highly approved of this casserole, as he does most pasta dishes.  This will definitely be present for some of our winter holiday meals.

No comments: