Sunday, October 13, 2013

You Are My Sunshine Baby Shower

This weekend I had the privilege of throwing a baby shower for one of my favorite people in the whole world.  Her and her husband are not finding out the gender of their baby, so I needed a gender neutral theme.  Their nursery colors are aqua/ turquoise-ish, yellow, gray, and orange and I thought that those would go well with a You Are My Sunshine theme.  That way, the decorations that I made for the shower could double as gifts/ nursery decorations also.  This was my favorite theme, color scheme, and decor for any party that I've ever thrown.  Now sure if it's how special the guest of honor is to me, or if it was the theme itself, but I had a lot of fun dreaming up and creating this shower.  

My camera and I had a huge struggle with the lighting at the location, so please excuse the blurry pictures.

I made this sign from some scrap wood

the centerpieces were branches in mason jars with tissue paper flowers glued to them

we had a table with envelopes to address and an advice/ encouragement book for guests to sign

I made the sunshine blocks out of more scrap wood, some patterned cardstock, and then stamped the letters on them.  the framed print was a free printable found here.  I also printed and framed a few other free printables found here and here.

another activity was a onesie and burp cloth decorating station.  I didn't need to buy anything other than a pack of burp cloths for this, I just used supplies that I have on hand in my crafting stash.  basically I supplied plenty of onesies and burp cloths, lots of scrap fabric, fusible web, embroidery floss, fabric markers and paint, stencils, and stamps and let guests get creative.  this would be great for bibs also.  I wish I had taken pictures of some of the finished products, they were SO cute!

I made a word banner using my cricut machine to easily cut the letters from cardstock.  then I punched holes in them and strung them on yarn.

I made several tissue paper pom poms (rounded edges for the "clouds" and spiked edges for the "suns".  these are so cheap and easy to make and turned out really well!

this picture is awful, but these free printable cupcake (or mac and cheese cup) toppers were adorable

and here's the link for the free printable toppers I used on the cupcakes

I used this site for the free printable invitations, thank you cards, food tents, and favor tags, and just made them all in the same color scheme as the shower.  for the favors, I made coffee meringue "clouds". 

for the food, I stuck with a yellow/ sunshine-y theme and incorporated the mama-to-be's tastes, favorites, and requests.  we had;

-veggies with curry dip
-fruit skewers
-orange marmalade cupcakes
-lemonade
-coffee punch

It was such a fun sweet time to celebrate the mama-to-be and baby!

No comments: