Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Roasted Root Vegetables


Roasted Root Vegetables

This is more of a method than a recipe.  You could change the vegetables or the herbs based on your preference.  I was in the mood to try something new, so this was the first time that I've ever cooked with turnips and parsnips.  I enjoyed the parsnips, but the flavor of the turnips were a little strong for my taste.  This doesn't have to just be root vegetables either, I think it would be great with some acorn or butternut squash.  This is the only way that I've ever been able to get Jeremy to like cooked carrots, and I was shocked to see him actually picky them out to eat.  I think the chewy and crispy texture was what did it for him.

-1 lb each assorted root or winter vegetables such as carrots, sweet potatoes, beets, parsnips, squash, etc., all peeled and cut into similar sized pieces.  veggies will shrink while roasting, so cut them a little larger than you'd like the finish product to be, I did about 1-2" chunks.
-4 Tbsp olive oil
-1 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp pepper
-1 tsp dried rosemary or thyme
-2-4 Tbsp honey or maple syrup

Toss vegetables with olive oil, salt, pepper and dried herbs.  Spread in a single layer on 2 baking sheets.  Roast at 425 for 30-45 minutes, giving them a flip/ stir every 15 minutes, until desired tenderness/ crispness is achieved.   Toss veggies with honey or syrup, place back in the oven for 5 minutes to let sweetener form a glaze then remove from oven and serve immediately.

No comments: