Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Feta Mac & Cheese



Feta Mac & Cheese

I found myself with a bunch of extra feta on hand and wanted a way to use up a bunch in one dish.  I wanted to try this mac and cheese plain first, but next time I think I'll experiment with adding in spinach, mushrooms, sundried tomatoes, herbs, and/or fresh tomatoes.  This was just ok in my opinion, it still need some tweaking for a bit more flavor, but it's a good starting point.

-1 box whole wheat elbows or shells, cooked al dente
-1 Tbsp olive oil
-2 c crumbled feta cheese
-5 eggs
-2 c skim milk
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp pepper
-2 slices whole wheat sandwich bread, toasted well and broken into crumbs

Toss hot pasta with olive oil.  Then toss coated pasta with feta cheese.  Spread into a greased 13x9  pan.  In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper.  Pour egg mixture over pasta.  Top with bread crumbs.  Bake at 400 for 40 minutes, or until set and top is browned.

No comments: