Monday, November 2, 2009

Huevos Rancheros



Ever since we enjoyed The Guatemalan at Slim Goodies Diner I've been eager to make my own version of Huevos Rancheros. I think traditionally this would be served with a green/ tomatillo salsa, but I really like the salsa recipe that I've been using for years so we went with that. Normally I would serve this with plain sour cream, but I had this sour cream sauce leftover from our fish taco dinner from Sunday, and it went great with the Huevos Rancheros. I served it the way Slim Goodies does, all deconstructed on my plate, ready to be assembled into wraps. The only thing I was missing was the chunks of friend plantain that Slim Goodies uses as a garnish... yum!!!! We could eat this for breakfast, lunch or dinner, it is a frugal, healthy, easy meal that's sure to please.

Deconstructed Huevos Rancheros

-corn tortillas (2-3 per person), heated and blistered in a dry frying pan
-1/2 avocado per person, sliced
-2 scrambled eggs per person, seasoned with salt and pepper
-black beans (either canned, or dried cooked to desired tenderness)

Sour Cream Sauce
-4 tablespoons light sour cream
-juice of 1/2 lime
-1 teaspoon sugar
-a few dashes of cayenne

Whisk together all ingredients and chill until serving (chill at least 2 hours for best flavor).

Salsa
-6 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
-1/4 red onion, diced
-1 clove garlic, minced
-fresh ground black pepper
-dash of cayenne
-fresh cilantro, chopped
-1 teaspoon sugar
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-juice of 1/2 lime

Combine all ingredients. (If finer salsa is desired chop roughly in blender or food processor, but we like our salsa chunky).

Present all ingredients, and let guests assemble their own.


Shanon

No comments: