Sunday, August 4, 2013

Vietnamese Noodle Bowl


Vietnamese Noodle Bowl

For the last few months I have been constantly craving Vietnamese Vermicelli Noodle Bowls and Vietnamese Iced Coffee.  They have quickly become my favorite foods, so I thought I'd give the noodle bowl a try at home.  It turned out well, and is an easy, light, and healthy dinner.  Since I don't eat meat most nights with dinner I made this vegetarian,with just veggie toppings, but cooked tofu, shrimp, or chicken would be great in here as well.  Instead of the dressing listed, I've also used Sweet Chili Sauce Dressing or Ginger Peanut Dressing with these and all are great!  The peanut is Jeremy's favorite.  When serving to company I like to prepare 2 dressing options and let the guests assemble their bowls and choose a dressing to suit their own taste.

Bowl Ingredients
-Vermicelli rice noodles, cooked according to package directions
-shredded carrot
-cucumber, cut into matchsticks
-bean sprouts
-sliced avocado
-thinly sliced romaine lettuce
-chopped peanuts
-fresh herbs: cilantro, basil, and/ or mint
-lime wedges
-Sriracha sauce

Dressing
-1/2 c fish sauce
-1/4 c rice vinegar
-1/4 c water
-1/3 c sugar
-2 Tbsp lime juice
-2 scallions, sliced
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

Whisk together dressing ingredients.

Set up a bar with the assorted bowl ingredients and let everyone assemble their bowl to their preference.  Top each bowl with a generous amount of dressing and enjoy.

No comments: