Friday, November 9, 2012

Wonton Soup


Wonton Soup

When I get sick I don't crave the traditional chicken noodle soup like most people.  I tend to crave Wonton, Egg Drop, or Hot and Sour Soup.  I've always been intimidated to try making my own Wonton Soup, but it really wasn't hard, just a little time consuming making the wontons, but not nearly as lengthy as I would expect.  This turned out really well... maybe the best wonton soup I've ever had (if I do say so myself), I could really taste each of the flavors in the filling.

Wontons
-32 square wonton wrappers
-1/2 lb ground pork
-4 scallions, sliced
-1 inch chunck ginger, peeled and minced
-1 clove garlic, minced
-2 tsp soy sauce
-1 tsp sesame oil
-2 tsp cornstarch
-1/4 tsp salt
-1/4 tsp pepper

Soup
-8 c chicken broth
-1 Tbsp soy sauce
-1 tsp sesame oil
-4 scallions

Combine pork through pepper in a bowl, mix well.  Arrange 8 wonton wrappers on a work surface, place 1 tsp of pork filling in the center of each.  Wet you index finger (it is handy to have a bowl next to you to dip your finger in) and moisten all four edges of each wonton wrapper.  Pull one of the corners diagonally over the filling to make a triangle.  Press the edges firmly to seal, squeezing out any air bubbles.  Bring the left and right corners together, pressing to secure.  Place wontons on a baking sheet, dust with cornstarch, and cover with a damp towel.  Repeat steps with remaining wonton wrappers and filling.  In a large pot, combine broth, soy sauce, and sesame oil over medium heat.  Once soup simmers, add wontons.  Cook 10 minutes, stirring intermittently.  Sprinkle with additional scallions and serve.

No comments: