Sunday, July 29, 2012

Squash Casserole


Squash Casserole

When I was growing up, I remember my grandma making her squash casserole for every holiday dinner.  It was a family favorite.  My version has all of the flavor of grandma's comfort food, but is a little less heavy and has a bit more nutrition.  I had some mushrooms that needed to be used up and tossed them with the squash mixture, but this was not done in grandma's traditional version so I've left them off of the recipe.

-8 medium squash, diced (I used 4 yellow summer squash and 4 zucchini)
-2 Tbsp butter, divided
-1 yellow onion, diced
-1/2 c light sour cream
-1 c shredded cheddar cheese
-1 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp pepper
-1/2 tsp garlic powder
-2 pieces whole wheat bread, toasted and chopped or crushed into crumbs

Melt 1 Tbsp butter in large skillet, over medium heat.  Add squash and saute until just barely tender (about 10 minutes).  Remove squash and set aside.  Add remaining 1 Tbsp butter to pan.  Saute onion until soft (about 5 minutes).  In large bowl, whisk together sour cream, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  Toss with cheese, squash, and onion.  Pour into medium sized greased casserole dish.  Top with bread crumbs.  Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

No comments: