Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Braised Cabbage

(I apologize that a bowl of soggy cabbage does not photograph very well)

Braised Cabbage with Cream

This recipe is from the book A Homemade Life (review on the book to come within the next week when I finish it).  I'm going to list Molly's recipe as is, but I made a few changes.  I used fat-free half and half instead of heavy cream.  I increased the lemon juice to 2 Tbsp, and the salt to 1/2 tsp.  I also added 1/2 tsp pepper, and 1/2 tsp fennel seeds.  The overall result was okay.  It was good, and way better than boiled cabbage, but I happen to LOVE Kenyan Curried Cabbage and Roasted Cabbage so much that I don't think this dish is the best stewardship of cabbage, for my taste. 

-1 small cabbage head, cut into eighths
-3 Tbsp butter
-1/2 tsp salt
-1 cup heavy cream
-1 Tbsp lemon juice

Melt butter in large pan over medium high heat.  Place the cabbage cut sides down in the pan, and cook 5-8 minutes, until brown.  Using tongs, flip the cabbage wedges over and cook an additional 5 minutes. {I had to do this in two batches because I couldn't fit all of my cabbage wedges in the pan to brown}.  Sprinkle the salt over the cabbage.  Pour in the cream.  Cover the pot, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.  Flip cabbage wedges again and cook an additional 20 minutes.  Pour in the lemon juice and give the pan a good swirl.  Cook a few more minutes without the lid to let the sauce thicken.

No comments: