Sunday, March 18, 2012

A Homemade Life


I finally finished reading A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from my Kitchen Table by Molly Wizenberg.  This is one of my favorite books ever.  Not because it was profoundly life changing.  Not even because of the amazing recipes, which it is full of.  But because, never before have I read a book that I would so much love to write my own version of.

As the title suggests, this book is a memoir of Molly's life, told through recipes that were meaningful to her.  For each recipe there is about 2-3 pages of life story that goes along with it.  The book gives you a good sense for Molly's family, her travels in Paris, and how she met, dated, and married her husband.  It's all told in a very casual and witty tone of voice, as if you were sitting down enjoying a meal with her and she was sharing these stories with you while you dined.

This book is filled with great recipes that I'm dying to try.  In fact, I'm seriously tempted to make this book a "Julia project" for me, and cook my way through it.  In fact, in the few weeks it took me to read this book I've already tried the Braised Cabbage and Bouchons au Thon.  Next I have my sights on her pickled carrots that were served at her rehearsal dinner, and the chocolate cake that she made for her wedding.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and have never been so sad to finish a book, because I don't want it to end.  I really looked forward to reading a recipe and the story associated with it each evening before bed.  I guess I'll need to become a regular follower of Molly's blog, Orangette.  I see several other food memoirs in my future, I think it's my new favorite genre of books.  Does anyone have any favorites to recommend?

No comments: