Friday, March 2, 2012

Cajun Chicken Pasta


I made this Cajun Chicken Pasta from Pioneer Woman.  Speaking of which, I LOVE her!  All of her recipes are SO great!  But fattening!  And I tend to lighten them up. A LOT!  But I love how she cooks simple, straight-forward, crowd pleasing food.  Her beautiful photos and charming wit also make it fun to read her blog.  But I digress...  Back to the pasta.  I liked it.  Jeremy thought it was ok.  Had I followed her recipe fully it probably would have tasted even better, but I'd make the same changes again in effort to keep things on the healthy, yet still tasty side.  The changes that I made were;

-used whole wheat pasta
-used one can of diced tomatoes (undrained) in place of the fresh tomatoes
-reduced the butter and olive oil by half
-used fat-free half and half in place of the heavy cream, and whisked it with 1 Tbsp flour prior to adding to the dish to thicken a little more
-added 1 mushrooms, sliced, after the peppers started to soften
-topped our individual bowls with parmesan cheese

No comments: