Monday, December 3, 2012

Slow Cooker Vegetable Pavlava



Slow Cooker Vegetable Pavlava

I've been making this recipe for Chicken Pavlava (Aftrican Peanut Stew) for a while now and it has become a family favorite.  Anticipating my mom's visit next month, I wanted to come up with a vegetarian version, because I knew she'd love the flavors just like we do.  I also wanted to try it in the slow cooker, because I don't like to spend a lot of time in the kitchen when I have guests in town.  I am so happy with the way this turned out.  I just used the vegetables that I had on hand, whether they are authentic or not to African cooking. I think black beans could also be interchangeable with the chickpeas here.

-2 c vegetable broth
-1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes (with their juices)
-1/2 c peanut butter
-1/4 tsp cayenne
-2 Tbsp brown sugar
-1 tsp ground ginger
-1 tsp dried thyme
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp pepper
-1 tsp sesame oil
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1 onion, diced
-2-3 colored bell peppers, cut into large chunks
-1 (29 oz) can chickpeas, drained
-2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
-3 carrots, diced
-1 lb baby spinach

Combine all ingredients, except spinach, in a greased slow cooker.  Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 6-8 hours, stirring every hour to help distribute the peanut butter and ensure that all of the potatoes get submerged.  Stir in spinach until it wilts.  Serve immediately over brown rice.

No comments: