Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes


Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes

I've been on a quest lately to try as many new and interesting pancake combinations as possible.  I really liked these.  They were good with syrup, but would also be great with a lemon glaze.  The butter extract is unnecessary, I just had it on hand and thought it was a great way to still get the flavor, but leave out the melted butter that most recipes call for.  All of the recipes that I found used vanilla extract in these, but I love the flavor of poppy seeds with almond extract, so execute according to your own taste.  I also used the lemon extract because I had it on hand, but extra lemon juice or lemon zest could be used instead.  Next time I think I'd throw in a tad more lemon juice or lemon extract for an extra zing.

-1 cup whole wheat flour
-1/2 cup all purpose flour
-3 Tbsp sugar
-1 Tbsp poppy seeds
-1 tsp baking powder
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-1/4 tsp salt
-1 cup skim milk
-1/4 cup plain, fat-free yogurt
-1 egg
-1 Tbsp lemon juice
-1 tsp almond extract
-1/2 tsp butter extract
-1/2 tsp lemon extract

Whisk together dry ingredients in medium bowl.  Stir together wet ingredients in a separate bowl.  Stir wet mixture into dry mixture.  Drop by 1/4 cup portions into a hot skillet, flip once bubbles form and cook an addition 1-2 minutes on the second side.

No comments: