Monday, March 14, 2011

Healthier Mac and Cheese


I have been wanting to try Ellie Krieger's Mac and Cheese for years.  I love how she reduces the fat of the dish by omitting the flour and butter, and ups the nutritional value by adding pureed squash.  I have been skeptical as to whether or not this would taste health foodish.  Much to my surprise it tasted amazing.  I reduced the fat even more than Ellie's version by using fat-free milk.  I also doubled the cayenne pepper, substituted more cheddar cheese for the jack, and eliminated the bread crumb and parmesan topping, opting for a sprinkling of additional cheddar instead.  I will definitely make this again!

1 comment:

Ben and Crystin said...

hey so I made this but mine didn't look as creamy as yours. It lacked a little on flavor and seemed a little "gritty" due to all the squash. However, I think I even used more cheese than it called for so I was surprised it wasn't creamier....not sure what happened b/c yours looks awesome!