Thursday, March 3, 2011

Corn Chowder


I've been wanting to try this Corn Chowder recipe for months.  I've been on a soup kick this week, because my mother-in-law gave us a loaf of homemade bread and I don't think there's any better way to enjoy it than dipped into a hearty soup.  This chowder served as the perfect condiment/ side dish for the homemade bread.  I made a few changes to the recipe as listed below;

-added 4 cloves of minced garlic when sauteing the corn
-used frozen corn instead of fresh
-doubled the amount of cornmeal/ water mixture because I like my soups on the thicker side
-doubled the green chiles and omitted the chipotle because I didn't have any on hand
-added 1/4 tsp cayenne
-added a can of diced tomatoes
-omitted the bacon
-stirred in 1/2 cup cheddar cheese at the end
-used fat-free half and half instead of the heavy cream
-stirred in the half and half at the end and heated through, rather than boiling it

No comments: