Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Curried Rice Salad


Curried Rice Salad

This is very similar to my Curried Couscous recipe, but I think I actually liked this dressing better and will start using it for my couscous also.  This was a great way to use up the brown rice that I had leftover from dinner Sunday night.  In fact, I liked this so much that I'm going to have to make extra brown rice every time I make some so that I can enjoy this the next day.  The best part is that this is super versatile, you could use almonds, cashews or walnuts instead of the pecans, raisins or sliced grapes instead of the dried cranberries, and mint or cilantro instead of the parsley.

-2-3 cups cooked brown rice
-3/4 cup dried cranberries
-3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
-4 scallions, sliced
-2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
-1 Tbsp curry powder
-1 tsp salt
-2 Tbsp sugar
-zest and juice of 1 orange
-zest and juice of 1 lemon
-2 Tbsp olive oil
-2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
-1 tsp dried thyme
-1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

Whisk together curry powder- cayenne.  Toss with rice, cranberries, pecans, scallions and parsley.  Serve at room temperature.

No comments: