Monday, October 3, 2011

Pea Pesto


Pea Pesto

Jeremy thought this was just ok, but Noah and I loved it!  It's a great way to sneak some vegetables in for kids who are picky eaters.  I intended on adding 1/2 c parmesan cheese in here, not realizing I was out, but it tasted delicious without the cheese, so I'm not sure that I'd add the cheese {calories} next time when it's great without it.  If desired, reserve 1/2 c of peas prior to pureeing, to stir into the dish at the end.  Fresh basil would also add great flavor here, but I didn't have any of that on hand either.  Toss the pesto with your favorite pasta, or spread on crostini.

-16 oz frozen peas
-2 cloves garlic
-1/2 c walnuts, toasted
-4 Tbsp lemon juice
-1/4 c olive oil
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/4 tsp pepper
-1/8 tsp red pepper flakes

Bring 5 c water to boil in saucepan.  Stir in frozen peas, reduce heat, simmer 2 minutes.  Drain peas and rinse with cool water.  Place peas and remaining ingredients in food processor, process until smooth.  Serve warm or cold depending on your preference.

No comments: