Monday, July 12, 2010

weekly verse: Philippians 4:8

Philippians 4:8  Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.

This is the next verse in the series of verses that I memorized last week, and it couldn't have come at any better of a time!  I don't know if it's a result of my hormones soaring, or of being tired, or of the cold that I've been fighting since Wendesday, but lately I have found myself grouchy, self-centered, angry, negative, and just plain mean.  Unfortunately my husband has been the one to shoulder my soaring emotions.  Thankfully, he has been super gracious and understanding with me... WAY beyond what I deserve.  Just like Christ is with us.  How I love these moments in marriage when I am able to get a better understanding of the grace and love of our Lord by seeing it carried out through my husband!  The moments where I am completely unlovable... but Christ continues to love and pursue me, just like my husband has been doing.  It's humbling... completely humbling. 

Yesterday I was the opposite of this verse.  My heart and mind were consumed with festering on everything negative, bad, and ugly.  I couldn't seem to snap myself out of the soaring emotions that seemed beyond my control.  I had forgotten all too quickly the instructions in Philippians 4:5-7 (to present my requests to God, with THANKSGIVING, and to receive the peace beyond understanding that would result).  Philippians 4:8 is a great addendum to verses 5-7.  The instruction to dwell on the true, right, noble, admirable and praiseworthy.  To be consumed with the good, rather than the bad.  The act of safeguarding my thoughts, not allowing them to spin out of control.  The act of rejoicing, which is dually stated in Philppians 4:4.  I seize hold of this verse, adjusting my thoughts, allowing the Lord to adjust my heart as I seek Him, and remember all the reasons that I have to rejoice.  And today is a MUCH better day!

Shannon

1 comment:

Mary said...

I love this verse! And I totally understand what you mean about experiencing God's grace through J's actions . . . I have felt that way many, many times!

I'm so glad to hear that you're having a better day today :-)