Thursday, July 22, 2010

weekly verse: Galatians 5:22-23

Galatians 5: 13-23  For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.  For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF." But if you bite and devour one another, take care that you are not consumed by one another. But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh. For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law. Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

I feel like latley every week, and really every day, I'm continually realizing just how selfish I am, just how sinful I am, and just how much I need Jesus.  I need Him to cleanse me.  To heal me.  And to transform me.  Because on my own, I'm pretty darn YUCKY!  Perhaps I've prayed David's prayer to search my heart and show me the offensive ways in me a few too many times lately... but God is seriously humbling me!  And although it's not easy... I am grateful, and I rejoice in Him!

I could go on and list plenty of excuses for my poor attitudes and behavior lately... it's hot out, I'm tired, I'm pregnant and hormonal, I was wronged, I was treated unjustly, and so on and so on.  But ultimatley it comes down to the fact that I haven't been right with the Lord.  That I have been taking things into my own hands, because ultimately I wasn't believing that His ways are best... ultimately I wasn't wanting to submit to His lordship.  That I haven't sought Him with my entire heart, mind, and soul.  I've sought Him just enough to get by.  But getting by isn't even working for me any more.  I give up... I can't do it alone... and I surrender all to Him.

Let's just say that I've been moody lately.  That I've let little things get to me.  That my fuse has been really short.  That I have been self-centered.  Basically I have exhibited plenty of the traits of the flesh that are listed in the Galatians passage above.  I yearn to be obedient to the Spirit, and to see His fruit produced in and through me.

Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

And this will be my memory verse this week.  I'll be meditating on who I am in Him, and what He is doing in and through me.

Thank you for your faithfulness Lord!  For pursuing me despite my sinfulness.  For dying for me, and seeking me, despite my stubborness, desire for control, and love of the world.  Humble me Lord.  Free me from the ways of the flesh... guide me with your Spirit, and produce your fruit in me.  Let your love pour out of me to others, that they may know and experience you.

Shannon

No comments: