Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sausage, Pepper & Potato Stir Fry

Today I was feeling somewhat okay and braved cooking for the first time in weeks. It's funny that I didn't start with something more bland than smoked sausage, but it was on sale 3/$6 this week at the grocery store and I couldn't resist.

I have been stir frying sausage and peppers together for years.  I used to serve the combination with pierogies, but have recently switched to cubed potatoes.  I normally cut the vegetables into big chunks for this dish, but I've been very out of it lately (can I blame that on being pregnant?), and before I realized what I had done I had sliced all of the peppers and onions.  A few cloves of minced garlic is also great in here, but I was too lazy (after chopping everything else) to mess with the garlic today, and it was just fine without it.

Sausage, Pepper & Potato Stir Fry

-1 lb. turkey kielbasa or smoked sausage, sliced
-1 lb. red potatoes, cubed
-1 Tbsp. olive oil
-1 onion, largely diced
-1/2 each of green pepper, red pepper, yellow pepper, and orange pepper, largely diced
-2 Tbsp. brown sugar
-2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
-1 Tbsp. dijon mustard
-1/2 tsp. thyme
-fresh ground black pepper
-pinch or red pepper flakes
-1 cup chicken broth

Place potatoes in covered dish with 1/4 cup water, microwave for 8 minutes.  Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat.  Add peppers and onions and cook until they start to soften, about 5 minutes.  Add sausage and cook until browned, about 5 minutes.  Add potatoes and cook until browned, about 5 minutes.  Whisk together brown sugar, dijon mustard, thyme, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and chicken broth, pour mixture into skillet.  Cover and cook until potatoes are soft, stirring occasionally.

Shannon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks awesome!

Anonymous said...

Made this for supper tonight and it was awesome! Definitely a keeper. Thanks for sharing the recipe!