Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Broiled pineapple


I'm happy to report that for two days I have been feeling pretty good, and almost normal.  So good that today I ventured out to the gym for the first time in over two weeks.  It was nice to get my blood flowing again. 

As I mentioned before I've been craving meat like crazy since I've been pregnant, which is quite strange, because I'm very content being a vegetarian, or more accurately a pescatarian.  Today I couldn't take it any more, a co-worker brought in several leftover hamburgers that they had grilled the night before, and I decided that I HAD to have one... no bun, no cheese, just a big 'ole burger on a plate... and it was good!  My stomach gurgled like crazy for the two hours following, I'm sure as a result of not being used to the grease, hormones etc. that are in meat, it had been well over a year since I last had a hamburger.  It  was worth it though, and I'd do it all over again, in fact I may do it all over again and have a cheese burger at a cookout that we're going to this Friday night.

Since I was feeling better I decided to venture into the kitchen and attempt to cook something small after resorting to eating leftovers and canned food for days since I've been feeling ill.  I had a pineapple that I had bought on sale this week, and leftover ice cream from my birthday and decided that would be the perfect dessert.


I broiled the pineapple until it started to soften and brown (about 5-10 minutes)


And then plopped a nice scoop of ice cream on top... YUM!  This would be great having grilled the pineapple also, but I don't have a grill, or grill pan.

Jeremy ended up not being a big fan of this dessert, but I should have know, he's not really a fan of melted ice cream.  Me on the other hand, I love melted ice cream, and will let my ice cream sit out for 10 minutes before I eat it just so that it starts to melt.  My favorite desserts are usually the ones that combine a hot element with ice cream so that it melts, like brownie a la mode, bananas foster, apple pie a la mode and so on.

Do you like your ice cream melted, or frozen solid?  If you've had children, what types of foods did you crave while you were pregnant?

Shannon

1 comment:

Kim M. said...

that sounds yummm!!! I craved fresh tomatoes and fresh bananas a lot when I was pregnant (but not at the same time!)