Monday, March 8, 2010

7 weeks



According to babycenter.com here's what is going on with our little one this week;

The big news this week: Hands and feet are emerging from developing arms and legs — although they look more like paddles at this point than the tiny, pudgy extremities you're daydreaming about holding and tickling. Technically, your baby is still considered an embryo and has something of a small tail, which is an extension of her tailbone. The tail will disappear within a few weeks, but that's the only thing getting smaller. Your baby has doubled in size since last week and now measures half an inch long, about the size of a blueberry. If you could see inside your womb, you'd spot eyelid folds partially covering her peepers, which already have some color, as well as the tip of her nose and tiny veins beneath parchment-thin skin. Both hemispheres of your baby's brain are growing, and her liver is churning out red blood cells until her bone marrow forms and takes over this role. She also has an appendix and a pancreas, which will eventually produce the hormone insulin to aid in digestion. A loop in your baby's growing intestines is bulging into her umbilical cord, which now has distinct blood vessels to carry oxygen and nutrients to and from her tiny body.

As for me, I'm settling into my third week of feeling nauseous all day, every day.  I have found a few tricks that are giving me a little relief from how bad it has been overall.  Per the advice of some friends I've stopped taking my pre-natal vitamins in the morning, and have now been taking them in the evening.  I'm also making a point to eat crackers before I even get out of bed.  And I've learned the importance of NEVER letting my stomach get to the point where I'm actually hungry, and of munching on a few crackers every hours or so.  I'm still eating mostly soup, crackers, green grapes, gingerale, ginger tea, grilled cheese, and peanut butter sandwiches, but I've ventured away from that routine a few times, usually with a poor end result.  I did figure out this week that part-skim mozzarella string cheese tastes amazing to me right now, and sits well in my tummy, it also helps to have more substance and some protein along with all of the empty carbs I've been eating.  This past weekend Jeremy told me that I am starting to look a little pregnant, which I take as an affectionate way of saying that my tummy is starting to be a little pudgy and not so firm.  Which I am dismayed by, because I just feel that it's too early to really be showing, or noticeably putting on weight.  All of my clothes still fit just fine, but I'm starting to think that I won't be wearing skinny jeans too much longer.  I'm still napping on the drive to work every day, but now I'm also really wishing I had a nap time after lunch.  I've also been falling asleep fairly early most nights, it's not unusual for me to be tired as early as 7:30 or 8 and ready to fall asleep (in my defense, we do get up at 5:30 every morning also).  And if you notice that my hair is wavy in the picture, that's the way I've been wearing it at least 6 days a week, and just letting it air dry.  When I'm feeling awful in the morning the thought of pointing a blow dryer at my head sounds like torture.  Not to mention I get to hit snooze an extra two times because I save time getting ready by not drying my hair.

Shannon

1 comment:

Mary said...

I love that you're making a point of taking a "belly picture" every week. Wish I'd been better about that! And don't worry, it's not too early to start showing a bit, especially because you're so tiny! I had a very similar experience.