Monday, September 3, 2012

Curry Coconut Lentils



Curry Coconut Lentils

I started out with the intention to make these Coconut Green Curry Lentils.  And then I realized that I was almost out of spinach.  And that my green curry paste went bad during hurricane Isaac, but I had red curry paste around.  And then I basically changed the amounts on the entire recipe.  This was such an interesting combination of flavors, I really enjoyed it for a simple, frugal, nutritious dinner.  I did enjoy the bit of spinach I had in the dish, but would have liked more and therefore listed the amount below based on what I would have preferred if I had more spinach on hand.

-2 c uncooked lentils, rinsed
-2 c bulgur
-6 c water or vegetable broth
-1 small can (I'm guessing about 1/4 c) red curry paste
-2 tsp turmeric
-1 small can tomato paste
-4 cloves garlic, minced
-5 tsp garam masala
-2 tsp sea salt (less if you use broth with sodium)
-2 (15 oz) cans coconut milk
-1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
-1/2 lb fresh spinach

Place lentils, bulgur, 4 cups water, curry paste, and turmeric in a large pot. Bring to a boil and simmer, over low heat, for 15-20 minutes or until lentils are mostly cooked. Add the remaining water during cook time if lentils and bulgur have absorbed all the water. Cook it until all of the liquid has been absorbed.  Stir in the tomato paste. Add garlic and garam masala; stir to combine. Add coconut milk and simmer for another 5-10 minutes, until thick and creamy.  Remove from heat and stir in ginger and spinach until barely wilted.

No comments: