Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Bolognese Sauce

I made this Weeknight Bolognese Sauce by Ina Garten.  It was delicious, and may be my new go to marinara sauce recipe.  I love the complexity of flavor that the wine and cream added.  I made the few changes listed below.

-used whole wheat spaghetti
-sauteed a diced onion in the olive oil before adding the garlic and spices
-added 1 Tbsp sugar
-substituted 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning for the oregano
-used fat-free half and half instead of the heavy cream
-omitted the additional 1/4 cup of wine at the end
-omitted the fresh basil because I didn't have any

I was also a little surprised at the recipe, I was sure the 1 Tbsp of oregano and 1 Tbsp of salt was a typo and that it was supposed to be 1 tsp.  However, I kept adding more and tasting and sure enough the 1 Tbsp amounts seemed to be correct.  I was horrified, I've never put a whole Tbsp of salt in anything, but this really was delicious.

1 comment:

Nina McDaniel said...

Salt Horrification. I love it.
I'm going to make it anyway!