Monday, April 4, 2011

Baked Falafel

Baked Falafel with Tahini

After having the best falafel ever at a friend's house Saturday evening I decided to undergo the task of trying to make them a little more healthy by baking rather than frying the patties.  These were good, but neither Jeremy nor I loved them.  I think I'll keep playing around with techniques (maybe a quick pan fry prior to baking) until I can get the texture to our liking.

-1 can garbanzo beans, drained
-1 onion, largely chopped
]-3 cloves garlic
-2 tsp cumin
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp baking powder
-2 Tbsp whole wheat flour
-1 egg
-1 Tbsp olive oil
-1/4 c parsley
-1/4 c cilantro

Combine all ingredients in a food processor, pulse until incorporated.  Form mixture into patties.  Place on greased baking sheet.  Bake at 425 20 minutes, flip, then bake another 20 minutes.  Serve warm with tahini sauce.

Tahini Sauce

-1/4 c tahini
-juice of 1/2 lemon
-2 c yogurt
-1 tsp cumin
-1/2 tsp salt

Remove excess moisture from yogurt my draining in a coffee filter for several hours.  Combine all ingredients in a food processor, pulse until incorporated.  Chill until serving.

No comments: