Saturday, April 17, 2010

Sweet and Sour Boiled Cabbage

Because I've been craving lots of veggies, because cabbage was on sale last week, and because despite how gross it smells while cooking and how many people may hate it, I just love me some boiled cabbage!  My husband on the other hand HATES boiled cabbage, although he hasn't tried it this way yet.  When I first met him he swore that he hated all cabbage, cole slaw, etc.  Since then I've gotten him to try (and enjoy) sauteed red cabbage, and an Asian cole slaw.  Somehow he mentally can't get over the hump yet to try boiled cabbage though, maybe one day, and until then no problem, because there is more left for me, and I can seriously eat an entire head of boiled cabbage in a day, I love it that much!


This is seriously delicious!  It would be great with either red or green cabbage, in fact, I tend to like the red cabbage better because the bowl doesn't look so bleh with the pretty bright purple colored cabbage.  Adding bacon, ham, or butter while boiling the cabbage would add even more flavor, but honestly this is great without it, so I save the calories where I can.

Sweet and Sour Boiled Cabbage

-1 head cabbage, quartered, cored, and then quarters cut again into large chunks
-salt and pepper to taste
-1 tsp carraway seeds
-1/2 cup sugar
-1/2 cup white vinegar

Place cabbage in the bottom of a large pot, cover with water.  Season with salt, pepper, and carraway.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes (or until cabbage reaches desired tenderness).  Remove from heat.  Allow to cool for 5 minutes.  Stir in sugar and vinegar. 

Shannon

No comments: