Thursday, April 8, 2010

Sesame-Honey Roasted Veggies and Tofu




After finding this recipe for Sesame-Honey Tofu on a blog today I knew that I HAD to have it for dinner!!!!  Have I mentioned that I've gone from craving all things cheesy, greasy and junk food to craving all things fruit, vegetable, and healthy?  Well I have.  Today I over did it at the grocery store on fresh veggies and fruit, there were so many great sales, and it all looked good.

Back to the recipe... I combined 1 cup soy sauce, 1/2 Tbsp garlic powder, 1/3 cup honey, and 1 Tbsp sesame oil for my marinade.  I chopped the extra firm tofu into cubes and marinated it for about 5 minutes prior to baking at 400 for 30 minutes.  Then I chopped 2 squash and 2 yellow zucchini, marinated them for 5 minutes, and baked them at 400 for 20 minutes.  It was all DECLICIOUS!!!!  This is my favorite way that I've ever cooked tofu... and so easy!  I love how it gets more chewy by baking at at a high temperature.  Next time I might even bake it an extra 5-10 minutes to let it get a little more chewy.  It's all about the method, this same technique would be great on tofu with BBQ sauce, teryaki sauce, or really any sauce that you can think of.  My husband (who doesn't like tofu) ate almost half the pan standing over the stove, after already having eaten a turkey burger and 2 bowls of cereal.  He's still not a tofu lover, but I think it's HUGE progress that he continued to eat it, especially at a time when he was already satisfied and not starving for whatever he could find.  And the vegetables, they were even better after I took them out of the oven and let them sit on the pan for 15 minutes.  The sauce cooled and thickened and soaked into them even more... yum!  This would have been delicious with some brown rice, but I wasn't patient enough to wait the 45 minutes it takes my rice cooker to cook brown rice.

For those of you who are skeptical of tofu, I urge you to try this recipe.  Tofu is a great meat replacement.  It's not only cheaper than meat, it has a longer shelf life in the fridge, and since it doesn't have bacteria like meat does you don't have to be obsessive about washing your knife, counters, hands, etc. after chopping and cooking it.

I will definitely be cooking tofu this way again!

Are you a tofu lover or hater?

Shannon

4 comments:

Letherton said...

never had tofu

I stumbled across your blog and wanted to say hi.
Take a minute an check my blog out
I have lots of great giveaways going on.
Thanks :)

ethertonphotography.blogspot.com

Mary said...

This sounds so yummy! I'll definitely have to try it . . . I think you know J & I are both tofu lovers! Hey, have you ever tried baked brown rice? It's so delicious! Check this out: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/baked-brown-rice-recipe/index.html

Have a great weekend!

Jana said...

You know my feelings about tofu. In fact, I picked up some spicy tofu with eggplant at Ellwood Thompson, our local grocer, on the way home today.

Kristin @ Iowa Girl Eats said...

Yesss! Converting husbands to tofu, one block at a time...Love it!