Thursday, October 29, 2009

Comfort foods

When I came up with my meal plan for the week we were enjoying a stint of cooler weather and I was craving comfort foods. Much to my dismay, we were back in the 80's by the time I got to enjoy this dinner. Since I'd been planning on it, thinking about it, and craving it all week I decided to just go ahead with the plan, but it just wasn't the same with the AC running.



Grilled cheese and tomato soup are definitely two of my favorite comfort foods, and it doesn't hurt that combined they serve as a quick, frugal dinner. I won't insult your intelligence with a recipe for the grilled cheese, but I will note that my grilled cheese was made with whole wheat bread, 2% cheese and then coated with garlic powder before cooking... yum! I like my tomato soup on the sweet and spicy side, but you can leave out the sugar and cayenne if you like (or even the half and half). I didn't have any on hand, but fresh basil would have been a lovely addition here as well.


Creamy Tomato Soup

-4 cups chicken broth
-1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes (you really could use stewed, whole, diced or any kind of tomatoes that you prefer since you puree them)
-salt and pepper to taste
-1/2 cup fat-free half and half (or heavy cream if you prefer)
-2 tablespoons sugar
-1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Heat broth and tomatoes in medium pot. Add salt, pepper, sugar and cayenne. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and stir in half and half. Using an immersion blender puree soup. (If you don't have an immersion blender puree the soup in a food processor or blender).

What are your favorite comfort foods?

Shannon

No comments: