Sunday, October 18, 2009

Teryaki chicken and tofu with pineapple and a noodle dish gone wrong

After a very busy past few weeks today was a great day to relax and cook a simple dinner.

I always buy the Maesri brand red curry paste for my curry dishes but had never tried any of their other products. When I was at Hong Kong Market last week this Sweet Thai Noodle Sauce caught my attention and I decided to give it a try.

I stir-fried some carrots, scallions, peppers and combined them with this sauce, and rice noodles that had been soaked for 45 minutes. The result was a bit spicy, but overall very bland, I wasn't impressed at all, and would rather make my own sauce, maybe similar to Drunken Noodles in the future.



To go with the noodles I made a simple teryaki sauce and baked a chicken breast (for Jeremy) in the sauce for 45 minutes. About 25 minutes into the chicken cooking I flipped the breast, topped it with a pineapple slice, and put some slices of tofu coated with teryaki sauce and topped with pineapple slices in the oven as well.

Teryaki Sauce
-3/4 cup water (if making the sauce for a dish to be baked add an extra 1/4-1/2 cup water, because the sauce will continue to thicken in the oven
-1/4 cup soy sauce
-1 clove garlic, minced
-1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (I would have used about 1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger if I had had it on hand)
-5 Tablespoons brown sugar
-pinch red pepper flakes
-2 Tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in 1/4 cup of water

Combine water, soy, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, and red pepper flakes in a sauce pan, bring to a boil. Whisk in cornstarch mixture and simmer until sauce thickens.

Shannon

No comments: