Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Mango Chicken Curry



This is another recipe from the book Bread & Wine.  If I wasn't holding a book/ cooking club for this book I never would have tried this recipe... it seemed a little too eclectic for my tastes (shredded coconut, and raisins in a curry?).  But I'm glad I did try it because it was very good.  I think I still prefer a Thai and coconut milk based curry over this one, but I enjoyed it, and will very likely make it again.  

Mango Chicken Curry

  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 tbsp curry powder
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 3 lbs chicken breasts
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 red onion, chopped
  • 1 tbsp fresh ginger, chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • Chicken broth (4-5 cups)
  • 1/4 cups currants or raisins
  • 2 roma tomatoes, diced
  • 1 mango, pitted and diced
  • 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
  • 3 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 3 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
  • 3 tbsp shredded coconut

DIRECTIONS

  • 1
    Mix together flour, curry powder, salt and pepper. Cut chicken into small pieces, and toss with mixture.
  • 2
    Cook chicken until browned. Set aside.
  • 3
    Combine garlic, onion, ginger and red pepper in pan with olive oil. Cook until onion is softened (about 4 min)
  • 4
    Add chicken. Lower heat.
  • 5
    Add 4.5 cups chicken broth. Reduce broth by 1/4. Add raisins, tomatoes, and mango. Heat through. Remove from heat, and add lime, cilantro basil and coconut.
  • 6
    Serve over rice.

No comments: