Saturday, November 16, 2013

Hashbrown Casserole


Hashbrown Casserole

I usually stay away from dishes using processed "cream of..." soups and shortcut items like frozen hashbrowns but I've had this casserole before and wanted to attempt making a lighter version myself.  Maybe one day I'll take it a step further and eliminate the processed ingredients.  I've seen numerous recipes on the internet for this dish that have up to 2 sticks of butter in them and either have crushed cornflakes or potato chips combined with butter for a crispy topping.  I'm sure that these additions are delicious, but they are a little too indulgent for everyday dinners at our house.  So this is my everyday, less decadent version.  For a holiday or special occasion I'd recommend adding some butter to the casserole and one of the topping options.  This is so quick and easy to throw together, making it a great option for a fuss free week night dinner.

-1 32 oz bag frozen hashbrowns, thawed
-1 can reduced fat cream of chicken or cream of celery soup
-1 c light sour cream
-1 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp pepper
-1/2 tsp garlic powder
-2 c cheddar cheese, shredded
-1/2 c green onions, sliced

In a medium bowl, whisk together cream of... soup, sour cream, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  Stir in remaining ingredients.  Spread into a greased 13x9 pan (top with a little extra cheddar cheese if desired) and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

1 comment:

Trisha said...

I love this - will have to try your variation!
I always substitute plain greek yogurt for the sour cream - a little healthier and no one seems to notice :)