Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Feta Breakfast Casserole


Feta Breakfast Casserole

I had a bunch of feta cheese and veggies lying around that needed to be used up, so this was my solution.  Breakfast casseroles are such a great way to use up leftover cheeses, veggies, and meats.  Plus they are very simple, fairly healthy, and inexpensive.  We have breakfast for dinner at least one night a week since it is simple and inexpensive and breakfast casseroles are a great option for those evenings.  I always assemble breakfast casseroles (if I'm serving them in the morning) the night before, and then remove from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature for an hour in the morning prior to baking as directed.  Since this is more of a savory dish, I added herbs and garlic, but those could be left out for something more traditional.

-2 c skim milk
-8 eggs
-1 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp pepper
-1 1/2 tsp thyme
-1 1/2 tsp rosemary
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1 1/2 c feta cheese
-assorted veggies, chopped (I used spinach, mushrooms, and tomatoes here).  If using fresh spinach or mushrooms, lightly saute them first and squeeze out excess moisture.  If using frozen spinach, thaw it and squeeze out excess moisture.
-8 slices whole wheat bread, cubed (I used to be more "fancy" and cut the crusts off, now I even use the end pieces and leave all of the crusts on.  I don't really notice any difference in the finished product)

Combine milk, eggs, salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary, and garlic in a large bowl.  Whisk until well mixed.  Stir in remaining ingredients.  Pour/spread mixture into a greased 9 x 13 pan.  (Refrigerate for up to 12 hours at this point if desired).  Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes, until set.

No comments: