Monday, January 23, 2012

Corn Grits


There is a local casual dining chain restaurant named Zea's.  They have THE most amazing corn grits!  Recently I realized that the recipe is posted on their website.  I was able to make the same corn grits that I love, but with a lot less fat.  The few changes that I made were to use fat-free half and half instead of the heavy cream, used regular (rather than yellow) grits because that's what I had, doubled the corn (although I don't think I'd do that again next time), added 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper, and I reduced the butter by half.  These turned out a little more thin than I would like.  Next time I think I'll reduce the fat-free half and half by 1/2 cup to correct this.  But in all, the flavor was great!  Use veggie broth instead of the chicken to make this a vegetarian recipe if you like.

No comments: