Sunday, December 5, 2010

Dark Chocolate Cake

Dark Chocolate Cake

I got this recipes from my mother-in-law years ago, and it has been my go to chocolate cake recipe ever since.  It is one of my favorite cakes, and is definitely my favorite chocolate cake recipe.  It comes out unbelievably moist and chocolatey.  To frost it I just make the frosting/ icing recipe that is on the can of cocoa powder and smother it on top of the cooled cake.

-1 3/4 cups unsifted all purpose flour
-2 cups sugar
-3/4 cup cocoa
-1 1/2 tsp baking soda
-1 1/2 tsp baking powder
-1 tsp salt
-2 eggs
-1 cup milk
-1/2 cup vegetable oil
-2 tsp vanilla
-1 cup boiling water

Combine dry ingredients in large mixing bowl.  Add remaining ingredients except boiling water; beat at medium speed 2 minutes.  Remove from mixer; stir in boiling water (batter will be thin).  Pour into two greased and floured 9" pans, or 3 8" pans, or one 13x9 pan.  Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes for layers, or 35-40 minutes from 13x9, or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool 10 minutes on rack.  Remove from pans and cool completely.  Top with frosting.

Shannon

No comments: