Saturday, June 19, 2010

Chicken Salad with Cranberries


Chicken Salad with Cranberries

This has recently become my favorite lunch, or quick week night dinner.  Poached, diced (or shredded) chicken could be used in place of the canned, but I'm usually making this when I'm in a hurry and the convenience of canned chicken is much appreciated.  Serve with your favorite crackers, or as a sandwich.  If I had had fresh lemon lying around I would have also added the juice of 1/2 a lemon, but it's great without it also.  I also make a similar chicken salad with the same dressing base, but with dried cranberries, dried apricots, sliced almonds, and no celery or red onion... either way this salad is delicious!  This will make about 2 sandwiches when made according to the recipe, increase amounts for more people.  All of these amounts are estimated, because I don't measure anything when I'm assembling

-1 (10-12) oz can chicken, drained
-2 Tbsp mayo
-2 Tsp dijon mustard
-1 tsp honey
-fresh ground black pepper
-1/2 tsp salt
-1 stalk celery, diced
-1/8 red onion, diced
-1/4 cup dried cranberries

In medium bowl whisk together mayo, dijon mustard, honey, black pepper and salt.  Add chicken, breaking it up with a fork.  Stir in celery, red onion, and cranberries.

Shannon

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've never tried canned chicken, but I like your recipe so I think I'll give it a try. It would be nice to have chicken available in a can. Linda