Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Turkey Meatloaf




Turkey Meatloaf

I started off inspired by Ina Garten's Turkey Meatloaf recipe, but then changed all of the amounts of the ingredients and decided to re-write the recipe.  Sometimes I substitute whole/ rolled oats for the bread crumbs in my meatloaf, it sure is a lot more nutritious, or I make my own whole wheat bread crumbs if I have some bread heels lying around.  Sometimes I add garlic and/ or drained canned diced tomatoes, but it is good without it.  Whatever you do, make sure you serve it with mashed potatoes, I don't think you can eat meatloaf without mashed potatoes.

-1 Tbsp olive oil
-1 onion, diced
-1 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp pepper
-1/2 tsp dried thyme
-2 tsp tomato paste
-1/2 c chicken broth
-1/4 c worcestershire sauce
-2 eggs
-3/4 c bread crumbs
-2.5 lbs lean ground turkey
-3/4 c ketchup

In a skillet, over medium heat, saute onion, salt, pepper, and thyme in olive oil until the onion has softened (about 10 minutes).  Remove from heat and add tomato paste, chicken broth, and worcestershire sauce, stirring until well mixed.  Allow mixture to cool.  In a large bowl beat the 2 eggs with a fork.  Stir in the cooled onion/ tomato pasta mixture.  Stir in the bread crumbs and ground turkey.  Mix until well incorporated.  Shape meat mixture into a loaf and place on a greased baking sheet.  Bake at 325 for an hour to an hour and a half, or 160 degrees when tested with a meat thermometer.

No comments: