Sunday, June 16, 2013

Orzo Tabouli




Orzo Tabouli

This is my knock off of my favorite dish at a nearby casual dining chain restaurant   I wanted to eat this salad everyday of my pregnancy with Elisha and have no idea why I waited so long to try to duplicate it myself.  At the restaurant I get mine topped with grilled shrimp, but omitted them for the home version.  I think artichoke hearts or chickpeas would also be great in here, but not true to my takeout version.

-1 pack whole wheat orzo, cooked to package directions and cooled to room temperature
-1/2 c feta cheese
-1 bunch parsley, chopped
-1 cucumber, diced
-1 c grape tomatoes, halved
-1/4 c kalmatta olives, chopped
-1/2 c greek dressing from recipe below
-1/4 c lemon juice
-3 cups spring mix or chopped romaine lettuce

Greek Dressing
-1 c olive oil
-3/4 c red wine vinegar
-1/4 c lemon juice
-2 cloves garlic
-2 tsp oregano
-2 tsp basil
-2 tsp sugar
-2 tsp salt
-1 1/2 tsp pepper

Whisk together dressing ingredients.  Can chill in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.

Combine all salad ingredients (including the 1/2 c) of dressing in a bowl and toss well.  Taste and add more dressing to taste if desired.  Chill at least 2 hours before serving.

No comments: