Saturday, February 28, 2009

My first sewing project

This Thursday Me, Meggan, Kim and Randy's mom, Joan (who is a seamstress), all gathered for sewing lessons. We used a pattern from one of the fabulous books that my mother-in-law got me for Christmas and we had an evening filled with chatting, laughter, girl time, and crafting. I learned so much. It was great to finally learn how to use the sewing machine that I bought months ago, and to create an entire project start to finish in one evening. Talk about instant gratification. I usually bite off more than I can chew when it comes to crafting and discourage myself, but this project was just right, especially under Joan's guidance and with her assistance. What a wonderful time of teaching and investment made from an older, wiser woman to us. I'd wager to say that not all that we learned that evening was sewing. Anytime you spend quality time in the presence of a spiritually mature believer discipleship just seems to happen naturally along the way. As we sewed, giggled, and chatted, we also learned life lessons about being a Godly woman and mother. What a wonderful example of Titus 2! And below you can see my first project, a baby bib and burp cloth made of orange flannel and white terry cloth.

(please forgive that this is on top of a moving box as a back drop, that's about the only surface we have available in our home right now... boxes, boxes everywhere!)


Shannon

2 comments:

Kim said...

yay! i love it!!!! they really turned out great!! :) i had lots of fun and learned a lot too!! glad we got to do that!!

(hey; i added links to the words 'igoogle' and 'google reader' for your convenience! -http://kmgranchelli.blogspot.com/2009/02/gotta-love-google.html- :)

Unknown said...

We're doing it again this Thursday also... I just talked to Meggan. Tote bags this time. Bring 5/8 yard of one cotton or linen and 1/2 yard of a contrasting cotton or linen if you can make it! (plus your thread) :)

Shannon