Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Watermelon and Feta Salad


I already have a recipe for Watermelon, Cucumber, and Feta Salad that I really like, but since my book club is reading through the book Bread & Wine I gave Shauna Niequist's version a try.  I posted the recipe below as listed in her book, but when I made it I added cucumber to the salad, and added 1 Tbsp of sugar to the vinaigrette.  I thought the salad was very good according to her recipe, and I really liked the presentation touch of serving the watermelon mixture over the greens.

Watermelon Feta Salad
From Bread & Wine by Shauna Niequist

Ingredients:

8 cups watermelon, cubed
8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
3 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
1/4 of a red onion, finely chopped
10 ounces arugula
2 limes
1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:

Cube 8 cups of watermelon, and let the cubes marinate in the juice of one fresh squeezed lime for several hours.

Vinaigrette:

Combine the fresh squeezed lime juice and zest from the remaining lime, white balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper.

At serving time, toss arugula with half the vinaigrette, and combine watermelon, feta, red onion, and fresh mint. Layer the watermelon mixture over the arugula, and drizzle with remaining vinaigrette.

Serves: 6 to 8

No comments: