Friday, August 14, 2009

hot & sour soup


Ever since I was a kid hot & sour soup has been one of my favorite things to eat. It is a classic comfort food for me. When I'm sick, all I want to eat is either hot & sour soup or egg drop soup. I made my version vegetarian, but you could add strips of pork (which the traditional version has) for additional protein and flavor. I couldn't find any Chinese mushrooms at my local store, so I used sliced white mushrooms. Tiger lillies, shitakes, or wood ear mushrooms would be more authentic in this recipe, but it will be delicious with whatever you use!
Hot & Sour Soup


-8 cups chicken stock
-1/4 cup soy sauce
-16 oz mushrooms, sliced
-small can of bamboo shoots, sliced
-block extra firm tofu, cubed
-1 Tablespoon chili paste or sauce (this will make it VERY spicy, I suggest starting with 1/2 that... you can always add more)
-1 teaspoon white pepper
-1 teaspoon sugar
-1 inch piece of ginger, minced
-1/4 cup rice vinegar
-5 scallions, sliced
-2 eggs, beaten
-4 tablespoons cornstarch, mixed with 1/4 cup of water

Place stock, mushrooms, ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, bamboo, sugar, pepper, and chili paste in large pot, bring to boil. Simmer until mushrooms are tender, about 20 minutes. Add tofu, simmer 3 more minutes. Turn off heat. Once soup stops bubbling, slowly pour in beaten eggs while stirring the soup in long even strokes in one direction. Stir in the scallions, enjoy.

Shannon

No comments: