Monday, July 21, 2014

Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal


Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal

This is a slightly different spin on my standard baked oatmeal recipe.  Jeremy, Eli and I all really enjoyed this, but I haven't met a baked oatmeal yet that I didn't like.  If this was just for me I'd probably add in a touch of cloves and nutmeg also, but Jeremy tends to not like dishes like this with much spice so I left them out for him.  You could also add nuts, raisins or craisins to suit your taste.  Baked oatmeal is such an easy, nutritious and inexpensive breakfast to serve, or we eat it as breakfast for dinner in our house often.  You can prepare this and bake it immediately, or I often prepare it the night before, refrigerate overnight, and then pop in the oven upon waking up.

-4 c rolled oats
-1/2 tsp salt
-1 Tbsp baking powder
-1.5 Tbsp cinnamon
-3 eggs
-1 c (no sugar added) apple sauce
-1 c sugar
-2 c milk
-1.5 Tbsp vanilla
-3 apples, peeled and diced
-2 Tbsp brown sugar

In a medium bowl, whisk together oats- cinnamon.  In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs-vanilla.  Stir oat and egg mixture together.  Stir in apples.  Spread into a greased 9 x 13 pan.  Sprinkle brown sugar over top.  Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes.

No comments: