Saturday, October 2, 2010

Chili

Chili

I used 2 lbs of deer meat that my boss brought me to make this chili to store in the freezer for post-delivery.  Normally I use ground beef, as listed below, but ground turkey would also work well here.  I normally throw a can of corn in my chili also, but today I was in the mood to make it a little more traditionally.  This chili has a  good sweet and spicy flavor, but if you like it even more kicked up add a diced jalapeno when cooking the beef, onion, and pepper.  Serve chili with cornbread, and your favorite toppings (i.e. shredded cheese, chopped green onions, sour cream, hot sauce, and cilantro).

-2 lbs. ground beef
-1 green pepper, diced
-1 yellow onion, diced
-6 cloves garlic, minced
-2 (29 oz) can diced tomatoes
-1 cup beef broth
-1/2 cup brown sugar
-1 Tbsp cayenne pepper
-2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
-2 Tbsp chili powder
-2 tsp cumin
-2 tsp salt
-2 tsp oregano
-3 cans any kind of bean (I used dark red and light red kidney beans and black beans here)

Brown beef, onion, and green pepper in large pot.  Once cooked drain off fat, and return beef and veggies to pot.  Add garlic, stirring while cooking for about 1 minute.  Add remaining ingredients.  Simmer at least 20 minutes (and up to several hours) prior to serving.  The flavor will get better the longer it cooks, and will even be better the next day.

Shannon

No comments: